YOU’RE NOT ALONE BY MADELYN SWEET :D

Your not alone 

By Madelyn Sweet

Once, a long time ago in a land that was all grey, there was no sunshine, and there in that town was a boy named Wolfgang. He wanted more than just black and white. He wanted color. He wanted light! But it never came… until one day…  a forever friend appeared. 

Off to school

Wolfgang woke up on a Monday morning by a crow squawking, normally how he wakes up in the mornings.

He looks out his bedroom window hoping for some light of sunshine, but no. Cloudy. But he always knows that the sun won’t be gone for long (He hopes).

Wolfgang runs down the stairs with his leather book bag his mother stitched up for him. With some holes that were filled with fabric from his old shirts. He came down the stairs and grabbed his lunch that his mother already made for him. “Thanks mom.” he said with a big smile. His mom didn’t smile back, she just said “Get to school, and after school come straight back. No dilly dallying.” she said, but Wolfgang’s smile did not come off his face. “Yup got it!” he said and closed the door. His smile never came off his face, because his town was not the brightest town to live in, so he needed to make balance in the land, to make sure everybody knows that there is still sun under the clouds.

NOT a co-ed school

Wolfgang walked along the side of the street smiling at every person he walked by, trying to see if anyone would smile back. No one did, everyone looked miserable. Mad. Like everyone was upset at him for being… well… him. He just wants people to be happy in life. And if he can’t do it… who can?

Wolfgang got to school and made his way to his coat hanger when he saw a kid sitting on the steps of the door next door. He looked around and then walked over to the kid.

“Hey,” he said looking at the kid. The kids face was in the shadows of the hood on the kids head. Wolfgang knelt down next to the kid. Trying to see under the hood. “Umm… Aren’t you supposed to be in school?” he said looking at the clock of the tower, only 3 minutes until the bell is going to ring. “Oh no…” Said the kid as she lifted her hood, she had her hair in a bun and strands of loose hair hanging over her ears on the side of her eyes. “Girls aren’t allowed in school.”

The un-rumor

“I can’t believe it!” Said my friend Leo, he was in my school with me because this school is NOT co-ed, meaning in this town girls aren’t allowed in school. Only in some towns are girls allowed to be in school with boys.

“You actually met a girl!” My other classmate said, Conner. Yeah, not one boy has met a girl in this class except for their mom or sister or relative. So that means the thing with me meeting a girl is kinda going around.

“Boys, Boys! It’s nothing… I mean come on! She lives in the house next door.” I Lied, I had no idea where she lived, I barely even knew her!

“Class, class.” My teacher said as he walked in. We all walked over to our desk and began the pledge. But I wasn’t focused on the pledge. I was lost in thought, I wonder, I thought  If I’m gonna be the first person to make friends with her, I mean, having a girl as a friend would be nice after all, It wouldn’t hurt anyone if I made a new friend. I’m gonna make her a friend if it’s the last thing I do.

Meeting Marie

After school I began to go home, but then I saw the girl Walking down an old valley. I looked around and without hesitating or even thinking I began to walk after her, she stopped at the end of the valley where the fence was blocking the other side. But that didn’t stop her, she got over it in a breeze, she jumped on the wall of the building and parkoured over the fence.

I looked at the fence’s height and my mouth dropped. I couldn’t possibly get over the fence! So I got the boxes that were on the ground and piled them up and climbed up and over the fence to the other side where I’ve never been before. And I saw the girl on a tree swing on a hill and I went over to her.

“Umm… Hello.” I said as she jumped off the swing and grabbed a stick that was on the ground and faced me with fear in her eyes.

“Why did you follow me, Go home boy you have no right to be here. I-If My m-mother sees me talking to you She’ll- she’ll freak out!” she said looking at her house down the hill making sure no one is seeing her do this.

“My name is Wolfgang,” I said backing up “I was the boy who talked to you today.” The girl’s eyes calmed down and she dropped the stick and she came closer to me. “Are- are you the boy people keep saying is ‘too happy’.” she said

“Ummm… well… maybe?” I said. Being half honest and half confused. “Wait, people are mad that I am happy? That’s just wrong.” I said shaking my head.

“Well… good to know you Wolfgang. I’m Marie” she said smiling, then something rushed through me. Like I was in a love trance, that feeling I felt that was happiness, joy and one last thing, what was it? He watched her run down the hill with her hair now out of the bun and flying loose, then the bell on the church rang. 4:30.

“Oh shucks! I’m supposed to be home right now!” Then I ran down the hill and hurdled the fence with no time to stop and see how in the world I did that, and booked it home and hopped on a passing horse and carriage and prayed that nothing bad would happen to him once his mother finds out that he was following a girl home.

Another lie

I got home and threw my bag on the floor and tried to sneak out the door but mother came down.

“Where were you Dearest? Oh I was worried sick! You didn’t come straight home you bad boy.” She said looking at me with fierce eyes. “What took you so long to come home?”

Oh boy, this is gonna be bad I thought.

“What did you do?”

“I saw this girl before school, and after I followed her, she’s really nice, and I came straight home after I met her. Honestly, she is exactly like me, she smiles all the time, her laugh must be like an angel, and She is really strong and brave. I didn’t mean for it to be long, I just wanted to be the first in my class to meet a girl.” That last part was wrong, later that night I noticed that the feeling I had after I met her and saw her running down the hill, I noticed that feeling was love, joy, because I finally found a person who was as happy as me, and I finally found out that not all of the town was grey, there was some sunshine, I could feel it, I know it’s true, that Me and Marie can be happy together, all of us could be happy together, even when there is no sunshine in the whole, wide, land.

Shadow 

I woke up in the night around midnight, To a voice coming from outside. I looked out the window looking into the forest across the field. Nothing. But as I turned around a light showed through the trees, A torch being held by a figure that could not be seen. I couldn’t see it clearly but I could hear it. The singing figure had the voice of an angel! But right when I was about to call back, The light was moving far into the woods.

I threw on my jacket without even thinking, I laced up my boots and tip toed down the stairs. At the end of the stairs it hit me, WHAT AM I DOING? I thought I’m gonna get killed! By either a predator or my mother when she figures out I have escaped to follow something again. But even though I could be in soooo much trouble, I followed it anyway, leaving all of my fears behind to follow my heart.

The girl under control

“Hello?” I said as I entered the dark forest. The wind howled in my ears and made my face numb and made me shiver and my teeth chatter.

“Hello!?” I yelled as the flame of the torch stopped in its tracks and turned around and was heading towards me. I turned to run but a stone grew from the ground making me stop. I turned and saw the black figure a foot in front of me.

My breath grew in sharp gasps as the figure made its way towards my face, I backed up till my back hit the stone and I looked upon the dark figure as it reached out it’s hand and took mine pulling me further into the woods to a hill with a tree, and a swing.

“Who…” I started to say “Who are you?” The creature was silent. That question was the worst, I knew the answer, But I felt like I needed to hear it from her. But nothing came.

“Who are you?” I said again.

“I am not who you think I am.” Said Marie But her voice was soft like she was going to wake someone if she did.

“What do you mean?”

“Wolfgang, there are some things you don’t know about me.”

“What things?”

“I have powers.” she said looking at her hands. “To control the earth.” she said looking at one hand. “And to control feelings” She said looking at the other.

“That’s why I’m…” she started, but then her voice choked. 

“Your what?” I asked, looking at her glowing hands.

“I’m Bad, I’m a Bad guy.” she said as tears came down her face.

“No you’re not.” I said trying to comfort her,  we sat down on top of the hill in the moonlight, in silence. “Why do you say you’re bad?” I whispered, trying not to break the silence too much.

“Once I tried to change someone’s feelings about everything.” she said looking at her hands. “But it backfired.” I was shocked, I was speechless.

“Who did you… you know.” I said looking at the full moon.

“My mum,” she said “I tried to make her happy, but she got mad and…” she trailed off. “She did something she would regret for the rest of her life.” 

“Tell me.”

“She left me… That building down there is and orphanage, And I’m the only one there, everyone else is happy with family while I’m-”

“Alone.” I say finishing her sentence,

“And ever since she left and my father divorced… I never felt so alone.” I looked at her.

“You’re not alone.” I said taking her hand

She looked at me and looked down at her hand. “Neither are you.” she replied looking into the  sunrise with a smile.

My first sunshine

I squinted my eyes when I woke up to a bright light outside, At first, I couldn’t believe it, then I noticed it had to be true! 

The sun shone through the clouds in the sky, the clouds slowly vanished and let the sun light up the land. Everyone was out of their houses looking at the bright miracle that happened today.

I ran down the stairs to see my mom standing in the kitchen  with a smile on her face.

“ Come here my young man!” she said, opening her arms. I ran to her and hugged her.

“ It’s a miracle.” she whispered.

“I know,” I said back to her with my own bright smile on my face.

“Off you go now, go to school and after-”

“Come right back.” I said finishing her sentence

“No sweetheart, spend some time with your friends. It’s a beautiful day, the only one that we had in years, go play on this beautiful day, it might be the only one.”

“Thanks mum.” I said grabbing my bag and lunch and running out the door to the newly grown flowers, taking some to school to give to my classmates. This day can’t get any better that it is now!!  

It just got better

I walked to school with Leo and Connor, I knew them best so I thought it would be good to be friends with them, because everyone is happy today, and it’s a good day to make friends.

While I was walking and talking to Leo and Connor I smiled at everyone Because it was a habit. But today everyone smiled back, today was a really great day, with friends and smiles and sunshine. Even though this day couldn’t get any better, just one change was missing from the puzzle, And I couldn’t find it.

As me and my friends got nearer and nearer to school, we all felt a sudden force, telling us that something has changed in school, we came to the steps of the school when we heard it, laughter, I never heard such a joyful sound in my life, And laughter is never heard in school.

Me and my friends walk in right when the teacher walks in. We quickly take our seats and begin the pledge.

After the pledge the teacher told us a wonderful surprise.

“Class, we have a new student today.” the room was silent.

“Actually, we have a couple of new students today.” he opened the door and let 7 new desks come in.

“Welcome to the class, the first ever girls in the Bowdoinham Jefferson school, welcome in: Jane, Sammy, Sarah, Judith, Lesley, Maddy and Marie. Welcome ladies!” He said as the girls took their seats at the desks the people moved in.

Marie sat in the seat behind me as I looked at her with a smile, she smiled back and winked, I knew that she did her “magic” and made people think and feel differently about the idea that girls couldn’t be in school.

I was sure that today would be the greatest day of our life.

Years and years and YEARS later.

“Mother?” said Rose, the youngest of her 3 siblings, Jack, the oldest, Layla, the second oldest, Finn the third oldest and then Rose is the youngest, and you guessed it, they are the 4 children of Wolfgang and Marie.

“What is it dear?” Marie said as she picked her up and over the fence to the hill with the swing.

“When am I ever going to school… I want to be with Finn, but he’s always away at school, and I never see him.” said Rose walking up the hill to home. The old orphanage was rebuilt and sold to them for a home.

“You will see him more next year when you are old enough to go to school, you see, Jack is in fifth grade because he’s ten turning eleven, Layla is in fourth grade because she’s nine turning ten next week, Fin is in third grade because he’s eight turning nine and you are going to be in first grade when you are Five turning six.” Marie said looking at Rose.

They have just gone to do some errands and are waiting for the three children to come home.

Rose was on the swing when she saw her siblings and father come running up the hill.

“Finn!” shouted Rose as she jumped off the swing and flew through the air as Finn caught her. 

“Hey Rose, good to be home!” Finn said, giving Rose a piggy back ride. Jack came trotting up the hill after them.

“Where were you?” said Layla as he came panting by her side.

“I was following this girl who looked nice and I wanted to be friends with her because she doesn’t have people to talk to, and to be honest, she’s pretty, and her brownish-Red hair is nice and smooth and she always wears her hair in a bun with strands of hair just off the edge of her ears next to her eyes, she’s the most prettiest girl I’ve ever seen!” he said as Marie looked at Wolfgang.

“You are just like your father.” she says looking him in the eyes with her hands glowing this light pink color and the magic came off her hand and caught wind and landed in Jack’s face. His eyes stared off into the distance in a love trance

“Yep,” said Wolfgang kneeling down on one knee in front of him “Just like me. And some day you are going to follow her, and she’s going to look in your eyes and say ‘I’ve never been so alone’ and you say to her ‘you’re not alone’ and she’s going to say…” he said looking in Marie’s smiling face and eyes. “ ‘Neither are you’. And I’m telling you, you are going to remember that forever because the sun is going to shine every single day, and if it rains, you know that she is going to be with you, and you know there is still sun behind the clouds.”

And Jack remembered his words and the next day followed her, meeting her eyes, saying the same words, falling in love, staying together till the end, and to this day, the family tradition goes on, and these words of “I’ve never felt so alone” and “your not alone” and “Neither are you” still go on, and are called “Love lines” and the family tree of Wolfgang and Marie go on in history, for making the “Love lines,” and for believing that there is still sun under the clouds.

One thought on “YOU’RE NOT ALONE BY MADELYN SWEET :D”